Sheptin’s College Profile – June 2021
University of Rochester, Rochester, NY – www.rochester.edu
- About 5,500 undergraduates taking advantage of over 70 majors
- Student to Faculty Ratio: 11:1
- About 80% of all students receive some form of financial assistance
- Top 10 ranked (per Princeton Review) for Professors and Study Abroad Programs
- Rochester’s legendary tunnels connect the library (about a one-minute walk from the Susan B. Anthony freshman dorm) to most academic classroom buildings.
- Debra Jo Rupp (That ‘70s Show) and Renee Richards (tennis-playing ophthalmologist) are noted alumnae.
- Rush Rhees Library has made the cover of the Princeton Review’s Best 385 Colleges.
“Meliora” – Always striving to do better.
A mid-sized white-collar city about 100 miles from the Canadian border, Rochester is a great city to explore. With sites like The Museum of Play, Highland Park, and Erie Canal cruise and the nearby wine country in the Great Lakes, you’ll never be bored. The University of Rochester is a beautiful campus on the Genesee River. It is easy to walk from one end to the other. Lots of green space, it is an idyllic place to study.
What I liked: Intelligent, down-to-earth students who are eager to learn. Rochester wants its students to be steward of their undergraduate academic experience. Other than a freshman writing requirement, there are no required courses. Want to take that course on Arabic Cinema? Go for it! Want to take some music lessons at the world-renowned Eastman School of Music? No charge!
What I also liked: If you still want to learn more, students can take a Take Five year. This is a one-year, no-tuition year in which your student proposes a course of study that is completely different from the one chosen in undergraduate.
What I wished you knew: This is a gem of a school. Many of my colleagues put this very high on their students’ college lists. Academically, it holds its own with schools like Johns Hopkins, Washington University in St. Louis, Vanderbilt and Cornell. Yet, it has a more low-key vibe; however, when you get here, be prepared to work hard.
To learn more: Visit www.rochester.edu or reach out to me and I’ll tell you all about my visit.