Hi! This is Alan Sheptin from Sheptin Tutoring.
For almost 30 years, I interviewed and trained interviewers for my alma mater. I told the interviewers to make the experience enjoyable and interactive. However, I did expect the interviewee to be somewhat prepared.
So, before you go on that college interview, here are my best tips:
- If the interview is live (which it won’t be in 2021), dress nicely.
- The first question tends to be something along the lines of “Tell me about yourself.”
- The response to “why our college” should be one or two things about the school that appeal to you as a student.
- Be prepared to talk about what you want to study.
- Not sure how to respond? Respond in the way you think you should.
- Have some questions prepared.
Be sure to get the interviewer’s email address because a day or two after your meeting, you should send the interviewer a thank-you note. This alone will set you apart from about 95% of all your peers.
You don’t have to be a seasoned pro to get through a college interview. Just showing your genuine self and displaying enthusiasm for the school is 80% of the battle.